Patterns

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Sewing for warmth

Here in the South Africa, we are beginning to feel the chill of Autumn, and this has inspired me to update our warmer sewing patterns – as well as creating a few new ones. We hope you enjoy creating them as much as we do!

 This week’s pattern for subscribers

Colour Block Hoodie

Due to be launched next week, but first it will go out to our newsletter subscribers and Sewing Club members – our brand new colour block hoodie sewing pattern, which will include sizes xsmall to xxxlarge

Featured pattern of the week

HQ Hoodie

Our very popular HQ hoodie sewing pattern has been newly updated to include additional plus sizes too! This fun sewing pattern now includes sizes from xsmall to xxxlarge. CLICK HERE to find out more....
 

Tutorial of the week

Burlap door draft stopper

 
A couple of months ago I managed to get my hands on some gorgeous dyed burlap, and like most fabric hoarders, I had no clue at the time as to what I was going to do with it.
This week, with the autumn winds moving in, we discovered a rather nasty draft coming in from under one of our draws, and inspiration hit! Not only do I (finally) get to use my dyed burlap, but I’m also able to get rid of some of my unusable fabric scraps, that I keep for moments just like these. So here’s how I did it...
What I used:
2 x 1 meter / 1 yard lengths of burlap, 10cm / 4” wide
A whole lot of fabric scraps for stuffing
Sewing thread to match
Steps / Details:
I chose this rather long length of fabric, because I wanted my draft stopper to come in on the sides, but measure your door and make your draft stopper to the length of your choosing. Just remember to add a 1.5cm / 5/8” seam allowance to either side.
Step 1: Right sides of fabric facing, sew around the fabric lengths, leaving a gap at one end.
Step 2: Trim the corners, and turn your draft stopper right way out, making sure to push out your corners.
Step 3: on the closed end of the draft stopper, sew near the edge of the seam, about 0.5cm / 1/8” near the edge
Step 4: Stuff that sucker! That’s right, stuff in as much old fabric off cuts as you can manage, but remember to leave enough space to be able to sew your seam closed.
Step 5: Once your stopper is completely stuffed, turn the raw ends inwards and stitch into place, about 0.5cm / 1/8” near the edge.
 
Your door draft stopper is now ready to use! Enjoy and... Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment